Examination Officers

What are the changes to unit 3 in GCSE English and English Language?

Changes to unit 3 in GCSE English and English Language

We have changed the entry codes for GCSE English and English Language, following the removal of marks for speaking and listening. Marks for speaking and listening assessments no longer count towards the final grades.

The fees for both specifications remain the same as originally published in the 2013/2014 fees booklet.

The new codes are:

2EH01 English

5EH01 – Controlled Assessment (20%)

5EH2F/H – Written Examination (60%)

5EH3A – Controlled Assessment Reading and Writing Tasks (20%)

5EH3B – Controlled Assessment Speaking & Listening (N/A Endorsement)

 2EN01 English Language

5EH01 – Controlled Assessment (20%)

5EN2F/H – Written Examination (60%)

5EN3A – Controlled Assessment Reading and Writing Tasks (20%)

5EH3B – Controlled Assessment Speaking & Listening (N/A Endorsement)

Units 5EH01 and 5EH3B are common units to both specifications.

Students taking GCSE English/English Language for the first time  

All required unit codes AND respective cash-in code need to be entered, in order to receive a final overall grade.

Students re-sitting GCSE English/English Language

Only enter the unit codes for the units they wish to re-take, along with the respective cash-in code.
No ENTRY is required for the controlled assessment unit/s which they wish to carry forward (5EH01, 5EH3A and 5EH3B).

The speaking and listening mark is available to carry forward from previous examination sessions and across the two specifications, as long as it previously contributed to an overall grade.

Special consideration – Speaking and listening:

No special consideration is available for candidates who do not have a mark submitted for 5EH3B. This unit will not show on the Special Considerations Online Tool (SCOT).

Further information

Detailed FAQs on speaking and listening

General rules for students re-taking GCSE English or GCSE English Language in summer 2014

Back To Top


How do I register as a private candidate?

Once you’ve found a host centre they should be able to help you with the registration process.

The registration process for GCSE, IGCSE and A level is often referred to as ‘entries’, so don’t be surprised if exams officers at your host centre start talking about ‘making entries’!

To register, you’ll need to provide the following information:

• Your full name, address, postcode and date of birth
• A telephone number
• Details of the subjects for which you want to register, including the 4/5-digit unit codes, any option codes and the 4/5-digit cash-in codes (where relevant)
• Details of any coursework marks you want to transfer (if relevant)
• Your Unique Candidate Identifier (UCI) number (if you have one)
• Your bank details.

Back To Top

I’ve lost my online results PIN. How can I get another?

If you’ve lost your online results PIN you need to go back to your school or college and ask them to get in touch with Edexcel to request a new PIN for you. Unfortunately, we can’t give students their PIN details directly because we can’t identify you, and we don’t want to give access to your results to the wrong person!

If you’ve already registered but have lost or forgotten your password, click on the ‘Forgotten your password?’ link on the login screen below the ‘Change password’ button. Type the email address you registered with into the ‘username’ field in the pop-up window that appears. A new password will be emailed to you.

Back To Top

I completed a course but wasn’t given a certificate. What should I do?

Centres (schools, colleges, training providers) are responsible for requesting certificates on behalf of their students as they have a copy of each student’s personal records.

Check with your centre to see if they have a copy of your certificate. They’re required to keep unclaimed certificates for 12 months after receiving them, after which they can dispose of them.

If they don’t have your certificate, you can apply for a replacement certificate by completing the application form.

If you feel that your centre is withholding your certificate or not being as helpful as you feel they should be, we recommend you speak to your local education authority (LEA). Our responsibility is to ensure centres are properly assessing their students’ work, but we can’t resolve disputes between students and centres.

To find a contact list of LEAs, search online for ‘local education authority list’.

Back To Top

My SIA licence hasn’t been uploaded. What can I do?

We can only upload your details onto the database once we’ve received your photograph and signature from your training provider. If you’ve applied for a SIA licence and have been told that you’re not on the database, you need to go back to your training provider and ask them to send us your photograph and signature.

Back To Top